I am smugly clapping myself for my forward planning in writing this post before I left for my trip. Well played 'super organised in all the wrong area's' self...
But anyway! - here is the tate top! It is a brilliantly easy and flattering sew up from workroom social.
The pattern comes with no instructions, but is fairly simple - after reading Elizabeth's review, I was happy to plough along and make the same alterations as she did with omitting the zipper in favor of a hook and eye closure. Much more summery!
The fabric is a beautiful soft cotton I picked up in Bali in 2013. So soft. And so cheap! I wanted some light summery tops for my trip away, without breaking the bank! So I turned to the stash, and flicked through sewn by Elizabeth's so cheap challenge looking for a free summery pattern! Such a great idea, and a fabulous reference when looking for a quick and free project! Thanks Elizabeth... :)
I made my own bias binding, and bound the neckline and armholes, choosing to turn the binding to the inside. My binding turned out a bit big, so for my next version I will use smaller binding for a neater finish.
It was fairly straightforward to match the seams, simply lining up the bottom pieces on the bottom of the Ikat print, allowing the scoop hem to dip below the Ikat line. Not perfect, but it did the trick for a quick project.
Very happy with this quick little top. To keep it simple, I popped it through my overlocker and quickly serged all my seams. SO QUICK.
I also used the length size from the size 20, while using a sz 12 - 14, as I like my tops a bit longer.
Pattern: the Tate Top - Workroom social (free download!).
Fabric: Cotton Ikat - Bali.
Size: 12 and graded to a 14 at the hips.
Mods: omitted the zip in place of a hook and eye closure, and lengthened the tunic to the size 20.
Cost: pattern - free! so a grand total of about $5- for the fabric :)
Happy Sewing Team!