Thursday, 22 October 2015

Minty Elephants - The story of a Nursery set..

During winter, my sister and I decided we would make up a baby gift for our cousin who is expecting her first baby any day now! (Come on baby - we are very excited to meet you!). Earlier on in her pregnancy she was looking for inspiration and stumbled across this little set, and decided they would be her nursery colours - seeing as the sex will be a surprise, it was a gorgeous neutral palate and looks perfect in her nursery space!

After seeing her inspiration pieces, we decided it would be fairly easy to replicate something similar, with her colour scheme. So - a few shopping trips later we were ready to get stuck in. And then a few more shopping trips by my sister (as she didn't approve of some of my fabric choices). Megs is the quilter, not me.. she did all the heavy lifting for the quilt, I just provided the machine & man power and did what I was told, and obviously attended with my charming personality. We decided on the quilt and a pillow, and I decided on the bunting. Megs did not want TACKY bunting, but I knew better and made it anyway - and look how sweet it looks tied up in the nursery! If you know Megs, you know it is risky business to deviate from her original plan, but it was a risk I took it, and I am glad I did.. 

We measured a cot sized quilt and then just did some rough calculations for how big each square should be and worked from there - it turned out to be 100cm x 130cm which is a standard cot size blanket.

The fabrics are from Spotlight, Joys Fabric Warehouse in Geelong, and the Millrose quilting shop in Ballan. The felt elephants were particularly fun to make - we used a silohette and traced the elephants out onto the felt, then quilted them down onto the quilt and pillow. If we had enough time I would have liked to put some on the bunting as well! For the bunting I cut out the pieces from the left over fabrics using a simple self drafted triangle shape. I then zipped up the two outside edges with right sides together on the machine and then turned it in, giving it a quick press. I used Bias tape for the connecting cord which also hid all my raw edges. Simple!

There are loads of posts about on making your own baby quilts so I won't go into it too much, mainly because I was a simply a slave to Megs and her quilt making sweat shop... But all in all, it was quicker than anticipated, and a lovely personal gift for a first baby.. Megs quilted the blanket by hand, which was time consuming. She was able to do it on the train on the way to work which made it easier.

Congratulations Mel on the pending arrival of your first addition! I cannot wait to meet baby Irving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

lovely thoughts...