Oh Stitch, Please!

Oh Stitch, Please!

Sunday 1 November 2015

Screw cake - i'm sewing frosting!

After spending most of my winter making cake - aka basics - lots of knit dresses, jumpers and tops, it is time to sew FROSTING.



Now - I am sewing frosting for a purpose - 1. everyone needs a red skirt in their wardrobe. Preferably eyelet. 2. Midi's are definitely in at the moment. And 3. I had to use Megan Nielsens brumby pattern that has been giving me the evil eye from the front of the pattern stash for a while.



IT WAS SUCH AN EASY SEW. But I took my time and sewed the shit out of this skirt. The fabric is a dreamy red cotton eyelet that I picked up in the fabric store in September, with this specific project in mind. I took my time, and used a lovely light red silk as a lining fabric - which is where things got a bit tricky. I wanted to use horse hair braid in the hem, but also wanted to have the eyelet raw at the bottom for the scalloped edge. I decided to stitch the horsehair braid to the silk lining instead of the eyelet fabric.



I used an invisible zip, which was a bit tricky with the eyelet fabric, but it works. I then stitched in the ditch to enclose the waistband tidying up the insides of the skirt. All raw edges are hidden behind the gorgeous silk which makes it look gorgeous on the inside as well as the outside.




Wanting the raw scalloped edge meant I wouldn't be able to baste the silk to the eyelet and treat them as one fabric. But I also didn't want yucky seams poking through the eyelet holes.  I was scratching my head about the best ways to go about this, and eventually had no choice but to go with the french seams as I didn't have enough of the silk to make bias binding either. So it was decided: french seams on both the eyelet and the silk, which turned out beautifully in the end.



The only changes I made to the pattern was to omit the pockets. Again, it was an eyelet pokey outy seams issue. When tracing I just continued the edge lines until they met. It was a gathered skirt so i wasn't too worried about losing size, as it would be hidden in the gathers. I also took the L size in about 2cm on the waistband. It is a bit droopy at the top and might need to be taken in again a bit further.



All up, it was lovely to sew up. I have more plans for bumby skirts. Definitely with the gorgeous pockets on my next one, potentially in a chambray... Definitely a pattern that can become at TNT stash pattern, and easily versatile for more casual wear, or made in frosting fabric like this!



More frosting is planned for my sewing table with a floral two piece set-acular planned for Melbourne Spring Racing carnival! I am not a fan of horse racing in the slightest, but I am a huge fan of the fashions, fascinators and styles it produces! So much sewing inspiration!

This number got it's first spin out for wear last night to celebrate a lovely friends engagement party. Congratulations Gaz & Rhi! A wonderful evening for a wonderful occasion. 



The deets!
Pattern: Megan Neilsen - Brumby pattern
Size: Between a M-L.
Fabric: 2m of red cotton eyelet - the fabric store & 2m of silk from Eliza's Fabrics.
Notions: Invisible Zip & horsehair braid
Other Bits: Shoes - wittner & top - portmans.
Cost: pattern: $18, fabric & notions $55. Total: $63-

Is anyone else playing along for BPsewvember!

..xx..

No comments:

Post a Comment

lovely thoughts...