Oh Stitch, Please!

Oh Stitch, Please!

Sunday 11 January 2015

Finlayson - Thread Theory

I have made a few of the thread theory patterns now, including the newcastle cardigan and the stratchoma tee - but my new favourite is the finlayson sweater.


I made this up for Dad for his birthday earlier in the week. I picked up a really dark navy blue sweater knit fabric from Spotlight to do the job, as I hadn't measured him and was a bit unsure of the fit, I wasn't too keen on breaking out the fancy stash in case it was a fail!


Dad was fairly happy with the jumper, and popped it on to wear straight away as soon as he opened it. Trying to get photo's of him in it was quite the challenge, but he ended up posing for a few...


I purchased the PDF pattern, and after taping and cutting, it was a fairly quick make. The PDF instructions for a jumper are quite sparse and I found myself referring to the detailed sewalong online, which was clear and easy to follow.


I am pretty happy with the fit, considering it was a total blind trial, and I didn't measure Dad up at all. The arms are a bit long. The only other thing I would change for next time would be to use some ribbing for the cuffs and hem band. The pattern suggests self fabric, which works fine, but I think it would look a bit neater made up with ribbing.


He wore it for the two full days I was home visiting, so I managed to snap these hanger shots early this morning before he put it back on!


My favourite feature by far is the decorative facing and ribbon - it looks so neat and tidy, and it would look fantastic with a label... Must go down the rabbit hole of labels on etsy....

All in all - a quick and fun sew, and Dad was quite chuffed with it!

A last little snappy of Dad in his Colette Albion coat that i made him for father's day last year... 







No comments:

Post a Comment

lovely thoughts...